PLEASE REVIEW THESE OFFICIAL RULES BEFORE ENTERING THE CONTEST. ENTRANTS WHO ARE MINORS: YOU MUST OBTAIN THE CONSENT OF YOUR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN BEFORE ENTERING THE CONTEST. ENTRY TO THE CONTEST IS FREE AND NO PAYMENT OR PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PAYMENT OR PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Description of the Contest
The Congressional Award Foundation (the “Award”) announces its inaugural GoPro Expedition/Exploration video contest (the “Contest”). The Contest is intended to provide a creative way for our participants to document their Congressional Award Expedition/Exploration while highlighting our organizational mission. Those who are selected will receive a GoPro to film and submit their Expedition/Exploration to the Congressional Award. One video submission will be selected to receive the Grand Prize – round-trip airfare for two and a one-night stay in Washington, D.C. to attend the Congressional Award Youth and Technology Dinner, where the winning video will be presented.
To enter the Contest, you must agree to these Official Rules (the “Rules”). Therefore, please read the following rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes agreement to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement among you, your parent or legal guardian if you are under age 18, and the Award with respect to the Contest.
Who Can Enter?
1. To be eligible to participate in the Contest, entrants (each, an “Entrant”) must be between the ages of 14 and 23 and registered to participate in the Congressional Award Program. Participants from U.S. Territories and Domestic and Overseas U.S. Military Bases are encouraged to enter.
2. A maximum of one Entry (defined below) per Entrant is allowed.
3. Employees of the Award and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate. The term “immediate family member” includes spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
How to Enter
1. Qualified Entrants must register for the contest and submit a written description (“Written Description”) of their Expedition/Exploration by completing the questions found on the Official Website at www.congressionalaward.org/GoPro. This registration and Written Description indicates acceptance of these Rules. More information on the Expedition/Exploration requirements is available on the website. All Written Descriptions must be received by 11:59 P.M. Eastern Time, December 15, 2016.
2. A panel of judges selected by the Award will evaluate each Written Description on the basis of originality, creativity and attention to the mission of the Award. The judges will then select 100 Entrants who will be awarded GoPro devices to film their proposed Expedition/Exploration. The judges will strive to select two Entrants to represent each of the 50 states. To represent a specific state, Entrants must reside in the state or be traveling to that state for the Expedition/Exploration. The judges reserve the right to allocate GoPro devices to fewer than two or to more than two Entrants per state. Finalists will be notified via e-mail on January 13, 2017.
3. Entrants who receive a GoPro must complete their proposed Expedition/Exploration no earlier than February 1, 2017 and no later than August 1, 2017, and submit a video highlight of the Expedition/Exploration not exceeding  minutes in duration by 11:59 P.M. Eastern Time, August 15, 2017. The video size should be at or under  MB for uploads. Original video files must be in [.MPEG, .MOV, .AVI, or .WMV] format. Video should be shot horizontally.
4. Each video entry (hereinafter “Entry”) must be uploaded to the Congressional Award’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/CongressionalAward and GoPro’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/GoProCamera. Entries must comply with the terms and conditions of using the YouTube website found at https://www.youtube.com/t/terms. No Entry will be considered that does not upload successfully to YouTube or fails to submit an entry form.
5. Each Entry must be in keeping with the Award’s image and may not be profane, offensive, pornographic, defamatory or inappropriate as determined by the Award in the Award’s sole discretion. The Award reserves the right to disqualify any Entry in the Award’s sole discretion.
6. No Entrant may win more than one GoPro device. Each Entrant (and, for Entrants under age 18, a parent or guardian) will be required to sign a release for the Contest entry and must agree to abide by these Rules. A signed release must be postmarked and mailed to the Congressional Award Foundation by December 15, 2016 in order to receive a GoPro device.
7. Each Entry must be the original work of the Entrant. It may not have been entered in previous contests or for previous awards. It may not have been previously published in any medium. The video should reflect the original write-up that was submitted and chosen to receive a GoPro device.
8. The Award reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove or blur any non-material elements rather than disqualify an otherwise compliant Entry. The Award may elect to make these changes or ask the Entrant to do so. If the Award requests Entrant make these adjustments and Entrant chooses not to make these adjustments, the Entry is subject to disqualification.
9. All Entries become the property of the Award. By submitting an Entry, each Entrant agrees the Award shall unconditionally and irrevocably own the Entry submitted including all rights embodied therein in winning entries and that the Award and its designees may use, publish, license, transfer, adapt, modify, combine, or dispose of any Entry or elements thereof in print, film, television, or any other media now or hereafter created without additional compensation or notification to, or permission from, the Entrant, except as prohibited by law.
10. The Award is not responsible for lost, late or misdirected mail; printing errors; server unavailability; or computer or any other electronic or telecommunications malfunction.
No purchase, payment, or donation of any kind is necessary to enter or win; a purchase, payment, or donation will not increase the chance of winning. By entering, Entrant agrees to be bound by these Rules and the decisions of the judges, which shall be final. The Contest starts at 12:00 A.M. Eastern Time, November 1, 2016, and ends at 11:59 P.M. Eastern Time, August 15, 2017.
Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules, or the like, may result in the immediate elimination of the Entrant from the Contest. Entries provided in an unapproved format or saved in such a way that the viewer is not able to understand the video content (e.g., overly grainy, out of focus, poor sound quality) will not be considered. The Award further reserves the right to disqualify any Entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, otherwise does not comply with these Rules, or violates U.S. or applicable state or local law.
1. One Grand Prize Winner (the “Grand Prize Winner”) will be selected by a panel of judges chosen by the Award. All decisions of the judges are final and binding.
2. Judges may consider any factors they deem relevant in selecting a Grand Prize Winner. Such factors may include, without limitation, originality, creativity, attention to the Award’s mission and overall technical quality of the Entry.
3. The Grand Prize Winner will be notified by phone or email on August 31, 2017, and publicly announced on or after September 4, 2017.
4. Odds of winning depend on the number of Entries received.
5. The Grand Prize Winner will be recognized and have his or her video shown at the 2017 Congressional Award Youth and Technology Dinner to be held in Fall 2017. The Grand Prize Winner will be invited to attend this event, but attendance is not a requirement for participation in the Contest.
6. Each Entrant agrees to be bound by the Rules, and the decisions of the judges are final in all matters relating to this Contest.
7. The Grand Prize Winner will be notified by phone or email.
8. By participating in the Contest, each Entrant and the Grand Prize Winner waives any and all claims of liability against the Award and its employees and agents, for any personal injury or loss that may occur from the conduct of, or participation in, the Contest, or from the use of any prize. The Grand Prize Winner may be required to complete a release and affidavit prior to acceptance of any prize. If the Grand Prize Winner is a minor in their state of residence he/she may be required to have a parent or guardian complete the release and affidavit as required by applicable law.
9. By participating in the Contest, each Entrant and the Grand Prize Winner authorizes the use, without additional compensation, of his or her name and/or likeness and/or voice/photograph and municipality of residence for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium (including, without limitation, radio broadcasts; newspapers and other publications; television or film releases; slides; videotape; distribution over the Internet; and picture date storage) the Award may deem appropriate.
1. The conduct of the Contest is governed by the applicable laws of the Unites States of America and any applicable state laws, which take precedence over any rule to the contrary herein.
2. The Award is not liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or Contest information.
3. If the conduct or outcome of the Contest is affected by human error, any mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors, malfunctions or failures of any kind, intentional interference or any event beyond the control of the Award, the Award reserves the right to terminate this Contest, or make such other decisions regarding the outcome as the Award deems appropriate. All decisions will be made by the Award and are final. The Award may waive any of these rules in its sole discretion.
4. The Award reserves the right not to award any prizes if none of the entries received meet the stated Contest criteria, in the Award’s sole discretion.
5. The Award takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any omissions, acts or damages that may result from the preparing of materials to submit to this Contest. The Award stresses that Entrants safely conduct their projects and avoid potentially dangerous production situations that put crew, actors, the public or any other persons at risk. To assure the safety of Entrants, adult supervision is strongly encouraged.
6. Void where restricted or prohibited by law.
Intellectual Property Rights
1. By submitting any Entry, Entrants thereby grant to the Award and its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees and assigns, an irrevocable, perpetual, and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, prepare derivative works of, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted work (including the video and all aspects and elements thereof) or other information in any and all media, whether now known or hereinafter created, throughout the world and for any purpose. The rights granted to the Award include, but are not limited to, the right to resize, crop, censor, compress, edit, feature, caption, affix logos to, and to otherwise alter or make use of the submitted work.
2. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Entry that infringes upon any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, rights of privacy or publicity, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligations, or otherwise violates applicable law. By submitting an Entry, Entrants thereby represent and warrant that the submitted work or information does not and shall not infringe on any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, rights of privacy or publicity, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligations, or any other right of any third party, and the Entrants affirm they have the right to grant any and all rights and licenses granted to the Award herein, including but not limited to, all necessary rights under copyright, free and clear of any claims or encumbrances. Entries violating this section of the Rules may be disqualified.
3. Use of unauthorized music or other copyrighted works may result in disqualification of the Entry or alteration of the Entry, in the Awards’ sole discretion. All music used within an Entry must be submitted with native files.
4. Entrants acknowledge and agree that the Award shall have no obligation to post, display or otherwise make publicly available any work submitted by the Entrant, and may, in its sole and unfettered discretion, remove, edit, modify or delete any work that the Entrant submits.
Waiver of Liability and Agreement to Indemnify
By submitting any Entry, each Entrant, its, his, her or their heirs, successors and assigns (“entrant”) thereby releases, forever discharges and covenants not to make a claim against or sue the Contest, the Award, affiliates, licensees, employees, officers, directors, representatives, successors and assigns, of and from all manner of action or actions, cause or causes of action, at law or in equity, suits, claims, demands, liability, loss, cost or expense, of any nature whatsoever, known or unknown, fixed or contingent, which Entrant may have or hereafter have against the Award by reason of any injuries or damages Entrant may sustain, whether to Entrant’s person, property, reputation, or otherwise, as a result of, incident to, or related in any way to the Entry, the Contest, or the use, incorporation or exploitation of the Entry for any purpose described herein. Entrant waives and foregoes the right to seek injunctive relief against anyone relating in any way to the Entry, the Contest, or the use, incorporation, or exploitation of the materials for any purpose described herein. Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Award from and against any liabilities, losses, claims, demands, costs (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees) and expenses arising in connection with any breach or alleged breach by Entrant of any representation made in the Entry or by virtue of submitting the Entry.